To provide you with the best experience on this website, cookies are used. By using the site it's assumed that you're happy with our use of cookies. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. More info on cookies.
Allow cookies


Alcohol, gambling, music events, theatre events and the sale of hot food overnight.

Under the Licensing Act 2003, if you wish to sell alcohol at your establishment, or provide any of the other events or activities, you will certainly need at least one licence.
For further information see

TV Licenses
You should apply for a Hotel and Mobile units Television License if you offer short-stay TV Licensingaccommodation in either serviced or self-catering accommodation.
Contact: 0117 9219321/9219330

Do I need a TV Licence for my business?
You need a TV Licence for your business if you or any of your staff, guests or visitors uses any TV receiving equipment at your business address to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

This includes the use of a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, computer or mobile phone.

You don't need a TV Licence if:
You use a digital box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment.

You use a TV set or computer monitor for closed circuit monitoring and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment.

You use a TV set or computer to watch only pre-recorded DVDs or videos (e.g. for training purposes) and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment.

Phonographic Performance LicensePhonographic Performance Licenses
If you play recorded music in public (that is to say, in any Commercial/Business context), you are legally required to get a PPL licence and a PRS for music.

These licences are needed because recorded music is protected by copyright and playing it in public requires the authorisation of the copyright owner. Both PPL and PRS for Music exist to provide that authorisation on a "blanket" basis, so that you do not need to obtain permission from thousands of copyright owners separately.

The reason that two different licences are needed is that UK copyright law protects recorded music in a number of ways.

There is copyright in the musical and lyrical composition, and this is administered by PRS For Music on behalf of the composers/publishers it represents.

There is also copyright in the recording itself, and this is administered by PPL on behalf of the record companies and performers it represents.

Any establishment where recorded music is played in public, whether CD, radio, TV, on telephone systems and the internet will require these two licences.
This is not limited to premises where members of the general public have access (such as pubs, shops, gyms, etc) but also offices and factories for example. (Please note that even if the only music use on your premises is live performances, this will still require a licence from PRS.

For Music covering the use this makes of the musical and lyrical composition, although in that situation you will not need a PPL licence as you are not making use of recorded music.)

The costs of each licence vary depending on the type and size of the premises and the nature and extent to which the music is used.

Contact: 020 7534 1030 or

Performing Rights Society Licenses
Performing Rights SocietyIf you play any copyright music in public on your premises you may require a licence.
Contact: 0800 068 4828